More on Anti-Racism & Jackson

I forgot last week that I was going to put up the words I said at the Unity Rally.  So here they are:

Last week people came into our community to spread  a message of hate.  They came here thinking that we would be fertile ground on which to sow to seeds of racism, anti-semitism, xenophobia, and homophobia.

They don't know Jack--son.

I've been here only 5 1/2 years, but I know this is a community that was the birthplace of the Republican party, founded on ideals of equality and freedom for all races.  I know this is a community which has been home to one of the oldest Jewish communities in the state.  I know the Jackson that was a stop on the Underground Railroad.  And I know the Jackson that has been a home for members of my little religious community, a church that represents God's universal love for all people, for over 150 years.  I've seen a Jackson with dozens of non-profit agencies working altruistically to better people's lives.  I've seen a Jackson where people who are Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Native American, Baha'i and atheist can worship and give thanks together.  I've seen a Jackson where we know our strength is in diversity, our pride is in our unity, and our future is in spreading the message of love, not hate.  That's Jackson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garrison Keillor Is no "Companion" for Unitarian Universalists

Triggers