Water

For years, I have been carrying bottled water into the pulpit. I drink and like tap water at home, but I don't like the taste of the church's well water, so I've been porting my own water in, yes, those horrible plastic bottles that fill up our landfills. Now seems like the time to stop. So this summer I've been in search of the perfect bottle to take to church every week (and every other day I'm there, as well). I started by mentioning this to my husband. He had previously purchased some Rubbermaid ones we've been using at home:


These won't work for toting water to church, because (as, yes, I have found) the cap isn't very secure and will leak water all over your bag and onto your sermon. So when I mentioned to my husband that I was looking for one that would work for taking to church, unbeknownst to me, he went and purchased a bottle from "ecousable."
This has the advantage of having the round top where I could clip it to the outside of my bag, if desired. Sadly, I do not like this water bottle. It has two major issues. First, it's way too tall. I want a shorter water bottle, no taller than the 20-24-oz plastic ones I've been using. Second, it has very few threads, making me feel like it will have the same leaky water issue. And it's kinda ugly, as well. So I went and purchased another water bottle:


This one was the right height and had more threads to its closing. And I think it's kind of pretty. It was called the "tree of life" bottle. So I toted it around this week to see how I liked it. My husband does not like it because it's aluminum rather than stainless steel. Sadly, I found I do not like it either, because every time I open it, it spills water and drips water from the cap. When I left it down by my feet in the car, it seemed to get my feet wet, too. It seems to not pass the not-leaky test that the Rubbermaid failed.

Originally, I had wanted something that would be clear, so I could see how much water was in it, and would mark the ounces on it, so I could keep track of how much water I was drinking. The Rubbermaid is both of those, but not very aesthetically pleasing, which was my third requirement. The Gaiam is more aesthetically pleasing, but doesn't have the former two requirements.

And so the search for the perfect water bottle continues. The perfect water bottle would meet a number of these criteria, some of which are impossible with others, yes:
  • it would be clear in some portion so its emptyness/fullness could be determined.
  • it would have markings in ounces.
  • it would be aesthetically pleasing.
  • it would not leak.
  • it would be insulated somewhat so the water would stay cold.
  • it would not be aluminum.
  • it could clip to the outside of a bag if desired.
  • it would have a smallish opening for drinking.
  • it would not be too tall.
  • it would not be too short--I don't want to have to carry five bottles to make it through a board meeting.
Anyone know the perfect bottle?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Not sure if it's big enough for you, but I just ordered this, because I wanted something leakproof, that wouldn't "sweat" next to my laptop in my bag.

http://flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_swb.asp
Thanks, anon! This seems to have a number of the qualifications I was looking for: stainless steel, small mouth, not too large, able to be clipped on outside of bag. I prefer a decorated bottle to a plain one, but that's negotiable. Let me know if it's leaky!
Jim Magaw said…
I have found the best bottle to be one of those horrible plastic bottles that is filling up your landfill. I re-used the same one with tap water from home for more than a year until I got tired of explaining to people who chastised me for drinking bottled water that I was, in fact, drinking water from my tap. Then I got a series of unsatisfying bottles (much like you have done). Finally, I discovered one of those neoprene bottle covers (without an offensive slogan on it), and now I'm back to using my old bottled water bottle.

It pains me sometimes that we spend so much time on such matters when there are many much more pressing issues (people dying from wars, domestic violence, preventable disease, etc.), but that's where we are.
I agree, Jim. I've often reused the plastic bottles, but I've gotten two sets of complaints about using the plastic bottles in the pulpit, one ecological and one aesthetic. It has bugged me to spend so much time on this issue, too, which is partly why I'm blogging about it--maybe I can cut my search short by learning from other people's choices! Also, maybe just a little bit of venting going on here. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Garrison Keillor Is no "Companion" for Unitarian Universalists

Triggers